TERHI PÖLKKI's story began already years before the Terhi Pölkki shoe brand was born. Terhi has always wanted to be a fashion designer but once working in a shoe store in the early years she got really fascinated in shoes.
"Shoes are something in between fashion and product design. At the same time I can be creative and practical and that suits me well."
Terhi finished her BA degree in Footwear Design at Wetterhoff Hämeenlinna in Finland. After that she continued her studies and moved to London.
"My big dream was to move to London and study in a prestige shoe design school - Cordwainers at London College of Fashion. It ended up the best decision I've ever made".
She gratuated as Master of Arts in Fashion Footwear from Cordwainers at London College of Fashion in 2008.
"My favourite person in the school was Peter, a technician in shoe making department. He kept saying; we don't run - we walk. This is something I keep reminding myself daily."
WE DON'T RUN – WE WALK
- Design country, material and its origin as well as production country are known
- Supply chain known and supplier data gathered
- Auditing of suppliers
- No fur used, and no hazardous chemicals used in production of materials
- Long-lasting / reparable / recycled / natural / organic / easily recyclable materials
- Certificated materials
- Energy-efficient production & efficient logistics
- Renewable energy used / flights avoided
- Carbon footprint defined and plan for emission reduction & compensation implemented
- Design for quality and long-term use
- Zero waste / waste of production used by another company
- Offering repair / 2nd hand / renting / recycling services
- No child or forced labor, no unsafe or unfair working conditions
- Living wage commitments and decent working hours
- Code of conduct / offers education
- No incineration or landfilling of returned items
- Products are packed in natural or recycled materials
- Environmentally-friendly delivery options