Iron Roots was founded in 2017 by three friends that were fed up with the fact, that more than 90% of all sportswear was made from plastics. They started to look for alternatives, which they couldn’t find – so they decided to take matters into their own hands.
The threesome started to look for sustainable alternatives to manufacture the kind of sportswear they wanted for themselves. By combining design, functionality, and sustainability, their goal now is to create the best sportswear there is, and it certainly looks very promising.
Iron Roots has a sportswear collection for women, men and also a small selection of accessories such as bags, keychains, and drinking bottles. The company uses natural materials for their athletic apparel, such as hemp, eucalyptus, beechwood and organic cotton. Each material has its own unique advantages and properties such as being antibacterial and antistatic, which makes them great for different workouts. The company is also committed to discovering constantly new ways in producing sustainable and high-quality sportswear. Did we already mention that their activewear does not release any microplastics at all?
In order to make sure that all clothing is produced in a fair way, they have selected local, GOTS certified factories, with which they have a close relationship. They visit the factories regularly and make sure that they are dedicated to fair production standards.
Besides the policies they have in place to select the factories and resources they work with, the company also has other parts of the business where they aim to create a positive impact. For example the packaging of products is plastic-free and they have an amazing goal for their resources to last forever – their customers get a discount when sending them back their athletic apparel! This way none of the products ends up in landfills, and they can recycle them again for new products.
The company is also committed to spreading knowledge on important topics related to the clothing industry through their blogs, talks at events, and lectures at universities. Talking about truly setting an example!
- Design country, material and its origin as well as production country are known
- Supply chain known and supplier data gathered
- Auditing of suppliers
- No fur used, and no hazardous chemicals used in production of materials
- Long-lasting / reparable / recycled / natural / organic / easily recyclable materials
- Certificated materials
- Energy-efficient production & efficient logistics
- Renewable energy used / flights avoided
- Carbon footprint defined and plan for emission reduction & compensation implemented
- Design for quality and long-term use
- Zero waste / waste of production used by another company
- Offering repair / 2nd hand / renting / recycling services
- No child or forced labor, no unsafe or unfair working conditions
- Living wage commitments and decent working hours
- Code of conduct / offers education
- No incineration or landfilling of returned items
- Products are packed in natural or recycled materials
- Environmentally-friendly delivery options