Lili Marleena is a Finnish clothing brand founded in 2019 in Helsinki and is well known for its unique and gorgeous dresses.
The birth story of Lili Marleena is quite a result of coincidences. The founder of the brand, Marleena, has always had close relations with Italy and she visits the country regularly. On one of these visits, she happened to pop into a fabric store – and found some astonishing treasures.
These gems turned out to be surplus fabrics of several Italian luxury brands. At first, Marleena purchased about twenty pieces, made some kimono-style clothes, and sold them to her friends. Then she bought 40…60…100… and thus the story has continued.
For Marleena, the most important thing about owning a clothing brand is to offer a sustainable way to enjoy dressing up. All the materials of Lili Marleena’s production are surplus fabrics. The clothes are produced in small batches with a unique style and personality, instead of current trends.
The specialty of Lili Marleena’s design is that the clothes suit different body types graciously. You can use the same dress even if your size changes, say before and after pregnancy. You can also swap these clothes between friends of all sizes!
Lili Marleena holds on to local and flexible production. All the clothes are manufactured in Helsinki, no pieces are made months before and there are little to no stockpiles. All the collections are produced in limited batches and in a short time span. When pieces are sold out, there will never be a similar batch again in the selection.
- Design country, material and its origin as well as production country are known
- Supply chain known and supplier data gathered
- Auditing of suppliers
- No fur used, and no hazardous chemicals used in production of materials
- Long-lasting / reparable / recycled / natural / organic / easily recyclable materials
- Certificated materials
- Energy-efficient production & efficient logistics
- Renewable energy used / flights avoided
- Carbon footprint defined and plan for emission reduction & compensation implemented
- Design for quality and long-term use
- Zero waste / waste of production used by another company
- Offering repair / 2nd hand / renting / recycling services
- No child or forced labor, no unsafe or unfair working conditions
- Living wage commitments and decent working hours
- Code of conduct / offers education
- No incineration or landfilling of returned items
- Products are packed in natural or recycled materials
- Environmentally-friendly delivery options