The symbol of the Finnish lifestyle brand YO ZEN is an origami swan, which has a story. The founders of YO ZEN, Paula and Kate, met a lonely swan in their northern hometown of Oulu on a frosty day in January.
The women, both working as architects, noticed an injured swan from the window of their workplace on the banks of the Oulujoki river. Friends fed the bird over the winter until it spread its wings and flew off when spring came. The swan's survival story gave a name to the design already created in the hands of Paula and Kate, the origami swan.
The name YO ZEN combines urban street culture (YO) with understated elegance (ZEN). YO ZEN products are always “in”, but at the same time so carefully thought out that they last. YO ZEN uses durable materials, manufactures small production batches and designs collections that support each other.
YO ZEN's goal is to make its products so valued and in demand that you want to take good care of them. YO ZEN wants to encourage the elimination of the disposable culture and hopes to recycle its products for future users.
All YO ZEN jewellery is assembled by hand in the brand's own studio in Oulu, favoring Finnish partner companies. YO ZEN wants to create new jobs in Finland, keep transport distances to a minimum and co-operate with local companies. YO ZEN's merino wool accessories are designed in Oulu and manufactured professionally at a knitting factory in Tampere.
YO ZEN clothing is sewn in Portugal at Finnish-owned Black Moda's factory or at their partner factories. The clothes are made ethically and ecologically from start to finish in the same area, from the weaving of the fabric to the fixing of the cardboard tags.
YO ZEN wants to offer sustainable options for women who are interested in style and fashion.
- Design country, material and its origin as well as production country are known
- Supply chain known and supplier data gathered
- Auditing of suppliers
- No fur used, and no hazardous chemicals used in production of materials
- Long-lasting / reparable / recycled / natural / organic / easily recyclable materials
- Certificated materials
- Energy-efficient production & efficient logistics
- Renewable energy used / flights avoided
- Carbon footprint defined and plan for emission reduction & compensation implemented
- Design for quality and long-term use
- Zero waste / waste of production used by another company
- Offering repair / 2nd hand / renting / recycling services
- No child or forced labor, no unsafe or unfair working conditions
- Living wage commitments and decent working hours
- Code of conduct / offers education
- No incineration or landfilling of returned items
- Products are packed in natural or recycled materials
- Environmentally-friendly delivery options