Finnish-Argentinean Antonela is the founder of NUARSWIM and the woman behind the brand.
Antonela has lived most of her life on small islands in Spain, where the sea and water are always close. Antonela loves the sea, and listening to the sound of the waves makes her feel at home. She has been playing on the beach since she can remember.
One summer, while living in Finland, Antonela began to ponder the idea of swimwear made in an ethical and sustainable way. She couldn't find any responsible swimwear where quality and comfort met. This was the beginning of NUARSWIM's journey.
In the early stages of the project, Antonela hesitated about the wisdom of building a new swimwear brand in one of the coldest countries in the world. Antonela also had no design background and knew nothing about production.
However, Antonela believed in herself and decided to create a transparent brand that would represent something other than disposable clothes. Her motivation came from her childhood nature and memories and her love of the ocean.
NUARSWIM's criteria are sustainability, minimalism, quality, and affordability. Antonela chose quality and sustainable Econyl as the material for her products, made from plastic waste, plastic bottles, and fishing nets collected from the sea. Production of the swimwear was organized in Bali, where Antonela found expert partners.
Antonela hopes that NUARSWIM is more than a swimwear brand. NUARSWIM wants to make a positive impact on people and the world we live in.
- Design country, material and its origin as well as production country are known
- Supply chain known and supplier data gathered
- Auditing of suppliers
- No fur used, and no hazardous chemicals used in production of materials
- Long-lasting / reparable / recycled / natural / organic / easily recyclable materials
- Certificated materials
- Energy-efficient production & efficient logistics
- Renewable energy used / flights avoided
- Carbon footprint defined and plan for emission reduction & compensation implemented
- Design for quality and long-term use
- Zero waste / waste of production used by another company
- Offering repair / 2nd hand / renting / recycling services
- No child or forced labor, no unsafe or unfair working conditions
- Living wage commitments and decent working hours
- Code of conduct / offers education
- No incineration or landfilling of returned items
- Products are packed in natural or recycled materials
- Environmentally-friendly delivery options