Maska was founded on the Swedish west coast in 2009 by Maria Svensson and launched a year later. The mission for the founder managed company was clear: to design relevant, quality garments that transcend the seasons and to produce them in a sustainable way.
The creation of MASKA springs from a vision of a high-quality brand that combines luxury fibers and refined, scandinavian aesthetics.
In a small sewing mill in a Swedish town famous for its textile industry, MASKA’s founder Maria Svensson used to run around playing with threads and textile leftovers gathered from the floor at her grandmother's’ feet. The mill was run by her grandmother and her great grandmother, who taught her about true quality and workmanship behind the products.
With traditions going back to the sewing mill, the idea of using exquisite yarns, fabrics and elaborate structures, as well as applying artisanal knitting techniques, is the brand’s solid platform.
Sustainable material and production choices have been a matter of course from the very beginning, as well as keeping a high design profile.
The designs might appear simple at first, but include subtle details and materials that balance simplicity with complexity. This balance ensures that one does not tire of the garment but constantly finds new meanings and enriched beauty that make the aesthetic value grow with time.
The quality materials are chosen to create sensual and longer lasting garments through which the brand has gained a strong following among people who favour a timeless self-expression.
- Design country, material and its origin as well as production country are known
- Supply chain known and supplier data gathered
- Auditing of suppliers
- No fur used, and no hazardous chemicals used in production of materials
- Long-lasting / reparable / recycled / natural / organic / easily recyclable materials
- Certificated materials
- Energy-efficient production & efficient logistics
- Renewable energy used / flights avoided
- Carbon footprint defined and plan for emission reduction & compensation implemented
- Design for quality and long-term use
- Zero waste / waste of production used by another company
- Offering repair / 2nd hand / renting / recycling services
- No child or forced labor, no unsafe or unfair working conditions
- Living wage commitments and decent working hours
- Code of conduct / offers education
- No incineration or landfilling of returned items
- Products are packed in natural or recycled materials
- Environmentally-friendly delivery options